I’m gonna post something that I’ll probably regret for the rest of my life.
-( It was supposed to be a Filipino Sherlock Holmes parody and then IT MUTATED :U )
God wtf am I writing I’ve been reading too much Nero Wolfe and Wimsey stories
Un-beta-ed and probably full of awkward sentences
Is it alright that I’m laughing at my own jokes
Tell me if you spot the references there’s like a truckload of them
I started this last January after Asiong Salonga now I don't know how to finish
I guess it's rec time again!
The Farthest Shore: Fantasy from the Philippines
* It's named like/after the third Earthsea book, but this one's all about our beloved fantastic country. A dozen specfics perfect for everybody who wants a taste of the Philippines. I haven't read any of them yet, because I only found it now, for some reason, but I'm excited! It's been a long time since my last Filipino specfic.
(Actually, all this is because I'm reading Edgar Allan Poe again and he is the ABSOLUTE MASTER OF DREAD. He should be a DotA character.
Why is he the absolute master? Because according to Orson Scott Card:
"Dread is the first and strongest of the…kinds of fear. It is that tension, that waiting that comes when you know there is something to fear but you have not yet identified what it is. The fear that comes when you first realize that your spouse should have been home hours ago; when you hear a strange sound in the baby’s bedroom; when you realize that a window you are sure you closed is now open, the curtains billowing, and you’re alone in the house."
And this is the definitive dictionary definition of Edgar Allan Poe.)
Alternative Alamat: Stories Inspired by Philippine Mythology
* I wanted this for my birthday! But, well, maybe next time. Edited by Paolo Chikiamco, the cover by the amazing amazing Mervin Malonzo of Tabi Po fame, plus stories by Budjette Tan, Dean Alfar, Eliza Victoria, among other awesome people, what can a girl want more? Huh?
(I'm also reading The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks, and it reminds me of the good old days of playing Thief, which is the ultimate stealth game ever. It's about "wetboys", basically assassins with magical Talent which makes them the best in the biz. It's pretty dark and awesome.)
I forgot to promote this, but this was where I was from 2-5 pm. And I'm pretty happy I went, because I learned a lot of things commonly left out of history books. And it has made me realize, to a larger extent, the power the United States of America still has over us.
The panelists raised some very interesting puntos de vista regarding the VFA and the COIN (counter-insurgency) guides of the US, and why these agreements put the Philippines in a dangerous position. It would seem that they paint the US as deceptive as a snake, and I think they actually have the right to do so. Ugh, there was so many political jargon, I had difficulty keeping up with Satur Ocampo.
ANYWAY, another reason I was happy I went was these two boys sitting two seats from me, who were... uh, for some reason, feeling each others' carotid arteries. The "cute" guy kept on looking back and sniggering at his "stoic" friend, and IT WAS LIKE A BL MANGA WTF
( my weekend of calendars, chicharon and chemistry ) and fallenangelkat for the calendar. WHICH WAS AWESOME YOU GUYS THANKUSOMUCH Couldn't stay long bc I'm on ice candy assignment.
- Woke up earlier than usual to finish Chem prelabs. I swear, my procrastination problem is getting worse and worse each day. I usually hand-write it, but that would take time, so I just typed.
- Walked around UP after passing the prelabs. I actually enjoy walking. Gives me time to think and feel that cold air.
- DID MY LAUNDRY. The first thing I'm gonna buy, if and when I get my own place, is a washing machine *huff*
- And arranged my stuff. I still don't know what to do with all those readings/papers/etc.
- Sat down to conquer that Chem postlab.... and I'm still at it.
A meme just for fun. This I got from starstray.
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your LJ along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
(The book nearest me, my Chem lab manual, only has 97 pages. So I took another.)
I held on to my uncle as we all listened to the sounds of the hooves fading.
My young boy's memory may have inflated these details, but this is how I remember that day.
Outside the town of Morong, on January 16, 1942, that group of brave men and strong steeds later made the final horseback cavalry charge in the history of the U.S. military. These were the last of an ancient tradition, many felled by the cowardly hail of anonymous lead and mortars from Japanese positions.
- Ilustrado, Miguel Syjuco.
Lol, that was yesterday. @_@
- The holidays have been a bit of a blah. Nothing that exciting. Unless you could call watching Dexter 3 exciting (which it is but that's beside the point XD). Mostly I've been catching up on shows I couldn't watch at boarding house (like House and Glee, and a guilty bit of Friday Night Lights). My brother and I watched a lot of kung fu movies too, and we've been thinking of moving to China... because it seems everybody can fly up there.
- I'm practicing watercolor too! deathofrats is my new idol. I found my ancient bottle of drawing ink but I can't find my equally ancient pen nibs. We used them for drafting back in high school. Hmm. Convent school's really great at the arts and music and choirs and stuff, but not so much at the sciences. Bad luck for me. One of my deepest desires is to be a monk in the Middle Ages - those who write books entirely by longhand, with pretty pretty penmanship!!
- Finished Monster too. Must say, one of the best I've ever read. But the ending was... kinda bleak - I was expecting something more Sixth Sense, haha. I might start collecting the manga. It's really good. On Hetalia, though... I haven't visited Hima-san's blog in ages. I might. Now.
- I WANNA WATCH ROSARIO. It's just so 1920's pretty. The vintage dresses, omg. RPG Metanoia too, maybe. Support Philippine cinemaaaa!
- Yeah, so, I thought I wouldn't have aguinaldo now that I'm almost two decades old, but... thanks to my godparents. :D
My adviser asked me to resched my 1pm Monday advising. I tried texting him when possible, but he hasn't replied yet, so I'm still going on Monday. Augh, I won't be graduating next sem. AUUGH. I wonder what's gonna happen to me after Psych. Take the board exams, yeah. Then an MA in International Studies. Or if I embody Wundt or Skinner or Bandura's souls maybe I'd get a chance to postgrad at LEIPZIG, GERMANY, the birthplace and the Mecca of Psychology, LOL.
But as of now I want to be a Foreign Service Officer, and an Ambassador someday, if possible. So, I need to speak Italian or Spanish like a second tongue to get a chance with the FSO exams. Lalala, had I worked hard at Japanese maybe I wouldn't have that big a problem now~
I haven't touched the Friends Page button for a week, so I'm just catching up. Hmmm, again I marvel at the magnitude of posts from the hetalia. I'm afraid to join sherlockbbc and reroute another river to my already overflowing dam. But the posts there (those which I've seen, not being a member) were LIKE, AWESOME.
Busy catching up on Kuroshitsuji II episode 9 too. Downloading it as I write. And GUESS WHAT? I finally bought season 1 DVDs, hardeharhar. Now I won't be ignorant of the manga/anime splits etc. :D